President Kovind, @rashtrapatibhvn :
#PresidentKovind presents National Corporate Social Responsibility Awards; commends corporate sector for its contributions towards society over and above creation of wealth and jobs.
Excerpts from President Kovind’s speech :
- The term ‘CSR’ is a recent coinage, but the spirit behind it has a long history in our land. All religious traditions that flourished here propagated the कर्म-सिद्धान्त, that is, Theory of Karma.
- Every fiscal year since 2014-15, the corporate sector has set aside a total of more than Rs 10,000 crore for social welfare. A diverse range of social sectors have benefitted from this effort.
- It is indeed heartening to note that those sections of society that need the helping hand most are among the main beneficiaries of the CSR activities.
- The corporations have made a worthy contribution towards the national goals. They are helping the nation progress towards the cherished goal of building a more equitable society.
- Government is sensitive about the need to calibrate the CSR regime to make it more effective. In September, the scope of the CSR activities was widened to include more categories of research incubators.
- It is important to internalise social welfare in the corporate culture. Hence I will also urge upon you to motivate your employees and sensitise them to this higher calling in service of the marginalised sections of society.
- While the government has done what it can to give Divyang a helping hand, society and especially the corporate sector can still do more for them.
- Can we plan in such a way that within a foreseeable future, every orphan child can get personal care? We can set 2030 as a deadline to ensure providing care to every child and reap the benefits of demographic advantage that we have.